The Hardoy Butterfly Chair is a contemporary adaptation of the Tripolina Chair, a portable design introduced in the early 20th century.
Jorge Ferrari, along with Antonio Bonet and Juan Kurchan developed the concept in 1938 for a Buenos Aires apartment building they designed. On July 24th, the chair went on show as part of an exhibition at the 3rd Salon de Artistas Decoradores, where it was discovered by the Museum of Modern Art. At the request of MoMA Design Director, Edgar Kaufmann Junior, Hardoy sent three pre-production models of the Butterfly chair to New York. One remains in the MoMA collection and one is at the Frank Lloyd Wright House in Pennsylvania, but the whereabouts of the third chair is now a mystery.
Describing the piece as one of the 'best efforts of modern chair design', Kauffman predicted its lasting popularity, and its commercial potential, was equally recognised by Hans Knoll, who began producing it in 1947.
With its stainless steel frame and acrylic seat cover, the chair can be used both in and outdoors, though it is advised that the covers are stored inside during lond periods of wet weather.
Made in Germany to the original design specifications, the Hardoy Butterfly Chair is available in either a blue or white cover.